Insight Iran is an independent, non-governmental, non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of human rights in Iran. We are committed to provide direct insight into, and accurate understanding of, the situation of human rights in Iran based on scholarship and expertise and free from superficial and populist approaches.
A core part of our work is to increase knowledge and create a greater awareness of human rights issues in Iran among international community through producing and disseminating reliable sources to our key partners and international bodies. Our ultimate goal is to hold the IRI authorities accountable for human rights abuses and for changes to be made to laws, policies and practice in Iran in compliance with the standards guaranteed under international human rights instruments.
To that end:
- We conduct in-depth research and produce legal commentaries and human rights briefs.
- We report and make submissions to, inter alia, the UN human rights bodies and special procedures by way of written statements and alternative reports.
- We collaborate on joint submissions to the UN bodies with other leading human rights NGOs. Most recently, we joined a group of NGOs such as Amnesty International, Justice for Iran, Iran Human Rights, and Baha’i International Community to make a joint submission to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child.
- We engage in international advocacy and liaise with and provide information to bodies such as the UN Human Rights Council, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Iran, and other thematic Rapporteurs and special procedures.
- We meet with State representatives and diplomats either in Geneva or in their respected countries or embassies, as part of our broader advocacy work. We brief them on developments and the most pressing issues in respect of the situation of human rights in Iran.